"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Straining toward what is ahead...

It never ceases to amaze me how I can read a scripture over and over sometimes for years, and then one day it just comes alive! I see something I never saw before. Proof I believe, that the Word of God is truly alive, and meets us when and where we need it. Reading this morning I came across Phil 3:13-14

 " Brothers, I do not as yet consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

What struck me this morning were the words "straining toward " and " press on." Words that imply it won't be an easy thing to do.
Paul didn't say I stroll toward what is ahead or cruise toward the goal to win the prize. He's implying that it takes work.
I remember one time back in my motorcycle days on Vancouver Island, I had my Yamaha Venture 1200 out in the back yard getting ready to take it for a run. One of my feet slipped in the gravel and it started to go over, all 700+ pounds of it. Not wanting to scratch the paint on it, I strained with everything I had to get it back upright. I did manage to do it, but I had to go sit down for 20 minutes afterward because my legs were shaking so badly. It literally took everything I had out of me to do it...I learned the meaning of straining that day!

It takes a great deal of effort also, for me to break free from the sinful nature I was born with, and to follow in the way the LORD would have me go. It's not a "cake walk". It's hard work. I'm thankful I have a God who will give me a hand to press on though. He promises me so in Isaiah 41:10...

" So, do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

Thank-you LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment