"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How could a loving God do this?

"How can a loving God create someone knowing full well they will reject Him and spend eternity in hell?"

 This question threw me for a loop this week. I didn't have an answer, but I knew I would need to settle it, at least in my own mind.  It's a tough one. I like to keep things simple so I won't go into all the discussion this question raised in our small group. No matter how we looked at it, it seems to be a question that only eternity and God can reveal.
I got up this morning and googled the question and through that process came across another blog which pointed me in the direction of Romans chapter 9.

Romans 9 puts it to rest for me.

It falls under the Sovereign freedom of God to do as He pleases, with whom He pleases, and it's not for us to question why. I know, that's not an answer many will accept.
It's a question we really have no business asking because in essence it tries to make God accountable to man. God doesn't answer to us. We answer to Him.

"But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to Him who formed it, "Why did you make me like this?" Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?" Romans 9 : 20-21

Paul isn't saying we shouldn't ever ask God why. He's speaking to the people who would question with a God-defying attitude trying to make Him answerable to man.Those who would try to bring God down to our level where He can be understood, undermining His character and Sovereignty.

This is a question that can be debated till all involved are literally blue in the face. I'm a simple man who needs simple answers. We know God to be Perfect, Holy and Just. For me, it will fall under God's Sovereign freedom to do as He pleases. He is perfect in nature and therefore makes no mistakes.

"He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He." Deuteronomy 32:4

".....Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Gen 18:25

That will be my answer should it ever come up again....I'm leaving it right there.

1 comment: