"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Complain, Complain, Complain...

Our small group began a new series this week called "LORD change my attitude" by Dr James MacDonald. The subject of the first lesson was............. "Complaining"

My notes are scanty and memory even worse, but I'll jot down what I can remember, before I forget it...

One quote that I remember went something like this: " If murmuring is your lifestyle, then the wilderness will be your home".
Complaining is sin:
Spoken or unspoken. We can hold our tongue and say nothing, but still complain in our hearts. God looks at the heart.
God hears our complaining:
"How long will this wicked nation complain about me. I have heard everything the Israelites have been saying" Numbers 14:27
God hates our complaining:
" Moses heard all the families standing in front of their tents weeping, and the LORD became very angry. Moses also was very aggravated." Numbers 11:10
God judges our complaining:
After Moses had interceded for the Israelites, the Lord decided against destroying them all outright and starting over.
Instead He told them, " You will all die here in the wilderness! Because you have complained against me, none of you who are 20 years old or older, or were counted in the census will enter the land I swore to give you." Numbers 14: 29-30.

 Complaining and unbelief, cost a whole generation of Israelites, very dearly. They never got to see the promised land that God said was their's for the taking.
I can be a complainer too. I'm no different then the Israelites. Time after time, blessing after blessing, I never seem to be satisfied for very long. Instead of seeing what the LORD has provided already, I always seem to focus on what I don't have, or what I think I need. Complaining robs me of Joy, leaving me in a "wilderness" of unhappiness and unthankfulness. After all, how can I be happy if I'm not content or satisfied? It might be time for me to think twice before complaining, there's a lot at stake it seems...wildernesses are generally not very favorable places... " Do everything without complaining or arguing "   Philippians 2:14

 Father God, please forgive my selfish complaining attitude. Help me to focus on You and Your more than ample provision, not on my childish, selfish wants. Help me to especially remember your Son Jesus, who died a horrible death on my account and never complained at all... Thank-you Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. THIS is something that we've been talking about in our house too! It's the constant selfish wishing for more, right? So, as a first step, anything negative thought or said, we're trying to force ourselves to say something positive about the thing we were complaining about (in my case, that would be laundry... )
    Blessings, Cliff, I have been enjoying reading some of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie. Hmmmm... A positive thought about laundry? :)

    ReplyDelete