"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Thursday, January 14, 2010

So... want to follow in the steps of the Rabbi?

Our small group watched a couple segments in the series " In the steps of the Rabbi " tonight. I found it to be quite challenging.  Some questions I was left asking myself...

Do I want to learn of Jesus's teachings so bad that's all I can think about? Do I wake up in the morning and Jesus is the first thing on my mind? Do I run to my Bible and read incessantly trying to glean every bit of wisdom from what He had to say in His word? Do I model my life after His example?

How about His compassion and His love for others? He'd sit down to eat with anyone, even all the undesirables of society. Could I do that? What about His humility? Always putting other's needs first. Then there's the total forgiveness He extended to everyone, especially those who were murdering Him on the cross! "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Could I do that?
Do I value the things of this world more than the things of His world? Am I willing to sacrifice my comfort to accomplish His will for my life?
Am I willing to die to do His will? He gave up His life for all of us! Could I give up my life for anyone? How would I do with people slapping me in the face or spitting on me? What about being falsely accused and laughed at? How about being tied to a whipping post and having the flesh whipped off my body? What about having a crown of thorns jammed onto my head? How about handfuls of my beard ripped out? Spikes driven through my hands and feet? Could I do a 40 day fast in the wilderness? Would I like to be thrown into prison? How would I like to be totally abandoned by my friends in my time of greatest need?

I don't think I'd make a very good "disciple" in the true sense of the word. Oh ... I go to church on Sunday and attend a couple small groups through the week, but I have to admit that being a true disciple of Jesus is not for the faint of heart. It's not anything I could do in my own strength that's for certain.

 But you know what? I believe He'd help me if I had the guts to try... Simply because of the fact that He chose us...and He knows what we're capable of if we'd only trust Him to work in and through us.

" To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps." 1 Peter 2:21

So... Want to follow in the steps of the Rabbi?

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Though you're right. We fail every day. All I pray is when I stumble, for the most part I stumble forward after Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Cliff. You bring up some very good questions, many of which I've been thinking about lately! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete