"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Walk the Talk

Yesterday I was reminded again of how important it is to not only talk the talk, but walk the talk as well. There are many people out there more than willing to keep us in check, especially when one who professes to be Christian, screws up.
People will readily throw "Christianity" in your face at every wrong turn. I don't say this with any animosity or hard feelings. It's just the way it is, and it's not likely to ever change. It serves to keep us in check and give us a dose of humility when needed.

I found myself needing to apologize for some things said on facebook, and rightly so. Things that started out in jest but got out of hand and taken the wrong way. The fact is my "Christian" testimony as far as some people are concerned may have been seriously damaged. Sometimes apologies just don't cut it. Sometimes things said can't be taken back, or made up for.
 If I'm publicly professing Christ, then I need to be mindful of "everything" I do or say, because I'm supposed to be a representative of Jesus. What people see in me reflects on Christ, and they see and hear everything.

Facebook can be a great communication or ministry tool, if used properly. A way to keep in touch, but it can also be something that satan can use to destroy relationships.

This lesson I should have learned years ago, yet, I seem to need reminding of it over and over. As a professing believer in Christ, I'm an ambassador for Him. I may be the only representative of Jesus some people ever see or hear. That's a huge and serious responsibility, and a scary prospect where I'm concerned as well. I have a lot of work to do. Thankfully, God is gracious and forgiving. I'm a work in progress. That's not an excuse for me to act badly, it's just a fact.

 I read a quote on facebook awhile ago that puts it in perspective. I don't know if I remember it exactly, but it went something like.... " Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear what you're saying."

A couple of quotes from God's Word too...

" ....whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

"....let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16

Words I pray that will stick in my head and heart....

5 comments: