"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The choice between two gaps

Are you one who can't take the leap of faith to believe in Jesus Christ because there doesn't seem to be compelling, proven evidence that He was who He said He was?
If so, then have you also considered the fact that there is no compelling, proven evidence to disprove the claims of Jesus either?
You stand between two gaps. The one forward that takes faith to leap to Christ and all that He promises, or the one behind you that rejects Him, and all the claims He's made.

Let's face it. Either Jesus is who he said He was, God in the flesh, or He was a raving mad lunatic and one of the biggest liars and deceivers that ever lived. He has to be one or the other. It's as simple as that.

I heard a quote taken from Sheldon Vanauken's book  (A Severe Mercy) in a message my brother in law Earl recently delivered at his home church in Vancouver that puts this in perspective, and I thought was definitely worth repeating.

 "There's a gap between the probable and the proved, how am I to cross it? If I was to stake my life on the risen Christ, then I wanted proof. I wanted certainty. I wanted to see Him eat a bit of fish. I wanted letters of fire across the sky.
I got none of these, and I continued to hang about on the edge of the gap. It was a question of whether I was to accept Him or reject... my God!... there was a gap behind me as well!

Perhaps the leap to acceptance was a horrifing gamble, but what of the leap to rejection? There might be no certainty that Christ was God, but, by God there was no certainty He was not! This was not to be borne. I could not reject Jesus. There was only one thing to do once I had seen the gap behind me. I turned away from it, and flung myself toward Jesus"... Sheldon Vanauken.

Sheldon Vanauken and his wife Davy came to faith in Christ while studying at Oxford University in England, and not to mention, under the intellectual scrutiny and persuasion of none other than their friend C.S Lewis. From what I can gather, these were not imbeciles who blindly swallowed what someone told them about Jesus. They took reason to its end, and then leapt the rest of the way in faith toward Christ.

Sheldon Vanauken simply realized that the price of rejecting Christ was just too high to ignore. Jesus Christ offers an eternal future with all the goodness of God forever. Goodness that we can also begin to enjoy now in this life.
Rejection of that offer brings eternal separation from all the goodness of God in everlasting torment. I'm with Sheldon Vanauken on this one. How about you?

"Whoever believes in the Son(Jesus) has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." ... John 5:36

It's very important to remember as well, that a genuine accepting faith in Jesus Christ will change your life. You cannot carry on as before, resting in your "fire insurance": living the same sinful life and thinking you're safe because you've prayed a prayer or have been baptized.
Satan also believes that Jesus is the Savior, the Son of God that takes away the sins of the world. He knows all of that and believes it too. Yet his future is eternal damnation in hell.

If your "belief" or "faith in Jesus" has not brought real "heart" change into your life, then it's not a saving
faith...I'm not talking about a lot of religious do's and dont's. Legalistic religious jargon about dress, drink, length of a man's hair or whatever else we can dream up. I'm talking about real heart changing faith. A heart that operates with God's perspective. When we have that, our lives will change accordingly.
If we have accepted Christ then we are no longer our own. We were bought with a price(Jesus's life). He calls the shots now. Not us. That's saving faith...change from the inside out, that doesn't happen overnight. It's a life long process and journey with Christ.

" Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were brought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment