"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Bible

The Bible :
Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth ..... is one acronym I've heard used for it. By far the most valuable piece of literature known to man. The very Word of God given to us in printed form. Full of wisdom and truth and everyday life principles. Yet, I've never heard of one being stolen. It seems you can leave them laying around anywhere and they're safe.
I've never heard of a Bible publishing firm being broken into and thieves making off with thousands of Bibles. Or, I've never heard of any church having to bar their doors and windows to protect their Bibles. I don't expect I ever will either.

That's because our human nature being bent naturally sinful, doesn't want what's in the Bible. Human nature says, I can make my own way. I can make my own decisions. I don't need anybody telling me what I can or can't do. I don't need God. Well ... until something terrible happens in my life anyway. Then I can blame Him for it!

God has a different perspective in Proverbs chapter 2. The whole chapter is great but I'll just write a few verses here. If you're interested you can read the rest yourself. You do remember where your Bible is don't you? It's the book that's covered in dust, you can easily miss it :) Sadly ... I've found mine in that state too many times too...

"For the LORD gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones." Proverbs 2: 6-8

"For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it."  Proverbs 2: 21-22.
These are just a couple of verses out of thousands. There's so much more that could be written about this subject, but it would be of such length, no one would read it anyway.

The Bible says that man's wisdom is but foolishness unto the LORD in 1 Corinthians 3:19. So why do we trust in our own wisdom so much?
We've been given a book that holds all the answers to life itself. Let's get it out, dust it off, read it and give it its rightful place in our lives.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment