"This is the day the LORD has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Friday, March 26, 2010

Do I have a critical spirit?

Our small group session was about criticism last night. I found it quite convicting. Some notes I took from the series, "Lord change my attitude".... by James MacDonald.

Criticism:  To dwell upon the perceived faults of others, with no view to their good.

Criticism:
             - by the above definition is sinful
             - ruins our fellowship with God
             - ruins fellowship with others
             - is personally destructive
             - is often petty

What's really bothering me?
                                         - unforgiveness?
                                         - envy or jealousy?
                                         - personal failure?
Criticism is self exalting:
                                   - is painful
                                   - is often inadvertent... a reflex statement
                                   - plugs the flow of God's blessing in our lives
                                   - life becomes a wilderness
Up close and personal:
                                  - am I a critical person?
                                  - am I reaping the consequences?
                                  - am I willing to repent?

Honestly, I would have to say that yes I can have a critical spirit. It's very easy for me sometimes to find fault in others with no view to their good. One quote that stuck with me from last night was " criticism tears down what God is attempting to build up". I need to be very careful what I say about others. God may be at work. He sees and hears everything. He's not pleased when we're critical of others.

The Bible says in Isaiah 59:2, " But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear."
I've had some spiritual wilderness experiences. Some very dry seasons. Times when my prayers didn't seem to rise above my eyebrows. Criticism may well have been the reason.

Another quote from last night, "everytime I throw dirt I lose ground". Criticism is self exalting and the Bible says: " Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil." Provs 3:7

Am I willing to confess my critical spirit and repent? Yes, I don't want anything to interfere with God's blessing in my life. The Bible says in 1 John 1: 9 " If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
LORD, please forgive my critical spirit. Help me to remember that You may be at work in people's lives. Help me to remember that I have faults of my own to be concerned with. It's not my place to criticise others, but to pray for them, and let You work in and through them.

" May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

LORD, change my critical attitude...

No comments:

Post a Comment